Monday, December 13, 2010

I, for one, have increasing respect for the folks who make bricks

One of the most interesting parts about the whole process of making an iPhone case that fits standard 'bricks' is how difficult of a problem it is to make something as simple but accurate as an ordinary brick.  The tolerances are tighter than 
you might imagine.

Though we had laser-scanned real bricks, that wasn't close enough, given the various things that happen to plastic parts during the molding process.  We literally had to 'grow' the mold, a tiny step at a time, until we got the 'fit' that we desired.

Nor was 'size' the only problem.

The photo here is of a very early pre-production part.   The cloudiness you see below is not present in the real parts.  We solved this particular problem by a combination of a slight materials change and a change to the pressure used during the molding process.  Just another problem we had to solve on the way toward brick mastery!


  1. thanks for your loveable post. i got informative blog. keep dui mecklenburg va

  2. The process of creating iPhone cases that fit standard bricks requires a deep understanding of manufacturing processes and materials science. The team's attention to detail and problem-solving skills are impressive, as they adjust molds incrementally until the desired fit is achieved. Challenges like cloudiness and material properties highlight the complexity of ensuring quality in plastic molding. Each step in the process contributes to refining the final product, demonstrating a commitment to excellence. The team's ability to identify and address issues like cloudiness through material adjustments and molding process modifications showcases their commitment to excellence. The journey from initial concepts to fine-tuning molds and adjusting materials and processes demonstrates persistence and innovation. trucking accident lawyer